It is one of the stronger edible acids, the dominant use of citric acid is as a flavoring and preservative in food and beverages, especially soft drinks and candies
Cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, dietary supplements, and foods
Citric acid is an alpha hydroxy acid and is an active ingredient in chemical skin peels.
Cleaning and chelating agent
1. chelating agent-binding metals by making them soluble
2. water treatment-improving the effectiveness of soaps and laundry detergents
3. Remove scale from boilers and evaporators
4. active ingredients in some cleaning solutions
5. use in shanpoo to wash out wax and color from the hair
6. In industry, it is used to dissolve rust from steel and passivate stainless steels
Citric acid is used as an odorless alternative to white vinegar for home dyeing with acid dyes.
Sodium citrate is a component of Benedict's reagent, used for identification both qualitatively and quantitatively of reducing sugars.